CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, April 25, 2008

Coolest thing EVER

I suppose this will be my first proper post in who knows when. The weekend is really the only time I have to myself to be able to sit down and do this honestly. I'm very busy, but it's all almost over. I have a week and a half of student teaching left. WOO-HOO!!!

Anywho, take a look at this!




Isn't is the coolest thing you have ever seen??? This is a work sample I created for one of my eighth grade class I'm teaching. It's loosely based on the architecture of Frank Gehry.

Basically, all you do is:

  1. Find a base, such as a wooden block, matte board, possibly even foam core can be used.
  2. Use hot glue to put together an arrangement of found objects to create an original, dynamic form.
  3. Once all your pieces are glued, and the glue is dry, take pantyhose and carefully stretch it over your model. This for me was the hardest part!
  4. Once the pantyhose is completely stretched over your form take a mixture of 75% Elmer's glue, 25% white tempera paint and paint it! This will harden the pantyhose.
  5. Wait 24 hours, then spray paint it. I haven't spray painted mine yet.
I would strongly recommend taking a look at Frank Gehry's architecture. It's some of the most interesting I've seen. I may come back here later and post some photos of it.

Also, I want to credit Scholastic Arts Magazine for this idea. :)

5 comments:

Ekim941 said...

That's really cool, very creative. Now I know what I can do with all of my old pantyhose.

Anonymous said...

certainly very strange looking!

Deb DiSalvo said...

VERY cool! How fun is it to work with kids???? Before I had my son, I ran a Care After School program for an elementary school and I was in charge of doing arts and crafts with the kids - I LOVED it! The best job (besides being a mom) I EVER had!!!!
Cheers, Deb

Artbeat said...

I am not sure I share your artistic view on this one, but then I guess I never studied modern art. I have learnt though, that "Art is in the eye of the beholder" and that applies to all forms of art. Life would be very boring if we all agreed on everything.

I love the still life works though and envy the kids you teach. I often wonder what path my art would have taken had I had some formal training.

Elise B. said...

Hey! Thanks for your comment.
I love your Joy painting. I used to have a calico kitty that I named Pride n' Joy, but I called her Joy for short. She ran away when she was only 4 years old, or so, I think. It was a sad day when I realized she just wasn't coming back...

Anyway... I like your blog too.
I seriously hope I'll find a major soon... Eventually, like all the advisers start telling you that you should go talk to this and that person and it's very annoying. I just want to decide what I want to do ON MY OWN. Why don't they understand?

Come back and visit sometime. :)
- Elise